My Tasty and Nutritional Vegetarian Cottage Pie recipe
Updated: Sep 25, 2018
Try my recipe for a Nutritious and tasty Vegetarian Cottage Pie that the whole family will love. You can mix it up and change the veg all you want - use what is on hand and what is in season :)
Veggie Cottage Pie (To make Vegan, Omit the cheese, cream and milk in the potatoes..but if you're already Vegan, you know that!)
2kg white potatoes
1 tbsp Olive Oil 1 Onion, diced 2 cloves Garlic diced 2 carrots, diced 2 celery sticks, diced 1 sweet potato diced (I leave the skin on, but you can peel if you like) 1 Zucchini diced 1 Red Capsicum diced 1 Tin diced Tomatoes 1 Tin Organic Chick Peas (drained and rinsed) 1 Tin Organic Kidney Beans (drained and rinsed) 1 Tin Organic Sweet corn (drained and rinsed) 1 tbsp Veggie stock paste ( I make my own, or you can use a cube) 1 tbsp Organic Tomato paste 2 tbsp Mixed Herbs Generous seasoning of Salt and Pepper to taste Grated cheese (tasty, parmesan, swiss, mozarelle - whatever you like)
Pre-heat the oven to 180degrees.
1. Peel the potatoes and boil until soft, then mash and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, Into a hot frying pan place the Olive oil, followed by the Carrots, celery, onion, garlic and sweet potatoes. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften.
3. Add the tin of tomatoes, then half fill the tin with water and add to the pan. Add the herbs and salt and pepper.
4. Add the tomato paste and vegetable stock and cook for a few more minutes.
5. Add the Zucchini and capsicum
6. Add the Kidney beans and Chick peas. Cook for another few minutes as the liquid cooks down.
7. Add the sweetcorn and cook for a few more minutes. Use your judgement to decide when the vegetables are cooked (but not overcooked as they are going in the oven too) and the liquid has reduced down.
8. Transfer the contents of the frying pan into a baking dish (I use a rectangle Pyrex baking dish) and top with the mashed potato. Flatten the potato down and top with grated cheese.
9. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and started to brown a little.
10. Serve hot - but will keep in the fridge for a few days. You can also prepare the veg and the potato ahead of time and just assemble and bake to heat before serving.
As this is packed with Veg I just serve as is, but you can serve it how you like!